Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Joy Lavrencik



Continuum I

I have been fascinated by movement since I started dancing as a child. The body is a continuum of movement and music my inspiration. It is my passion to bring this same sense of rhythm and movement to my mixed media art.

I discovered that large gestural patterning, applied with commercial and handcrafted brooms, is the instrument that brings this to life in my work. I am transferring the elements of dance, the flow of the body, and a stream of music into the layers on the cloth.

I delight in co-mingling gestures of the human body and strong visual imagery with soft sensual cloth. Whether it is the music I am listening to or the sweep of a dancers arm, the layers on the cloth are the record of that moment in time.

Biography

Joy Lavrencik has always had a strong connection to music and movement. Her years of dance and music lessons solidified this passion. Since discovering fiber in the late 1990’s, Lavrencik’s goal has been to bring this sense of rhythm and movement to her mixed media artwork, employing surface design techniques and collage. She currently works in her home studio in the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois. Lavrencik’s art work is available through the TLD Design Center and Gallery in Westmont, Illinois, and is exhibited in juried shows across the United State.

joylavrencik@comcast.net
http://www.joylavrencik.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment